Jonathan M. Sabin is a partner in the Firm’s Litigation Practice Group with extensive experience litigating complex commercial matters in state and federal court including contract and shareholder disputes, business divorces, employment litigation, real estate disputes, copyright infringement and regulatory matters before the Securities and Exchange Commission, Federal Trade Commission and Consumer Product Safety Commission. Mr. Sabin is a “hands-on” litigator skilled in all aspects of litigation including trial, arbitration, restraining orders/injunctions, oral argument, motion practice, appellate practice, depositions, electronic-discovery and expert witnesses. Mr. Sabin is a member of the firm’s Technology and Cybersecurity Committees.
Mr. Sabin’s previous engagements include serving as co-lead counsel for a financial consulting firm in a one-week jury trial, representing one of the largest crypto-currency exchanges in a fraud action involving the misappropriation of millions in crypto-currency, defending an internationally renowned hotel and restaurant design firm in an arbitration involving breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty claims and successfully obtaining the post-trial dismissal of a million dollar federal jury verdict for a national over-the-counter supplement brand.
Mr. Sabin was recognized as a “Rising Star” in 2016-2020 by Super Lawyers, an annual listing of top-rated attorneys in the United States.
Prior to joining Kane Kessler, P.C., Mr. Sabin was a litigation associate at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP and subsequently at Holwell Shuster & Goldberg LLP. Before entering law school, Mr. Sabin was a high school English teacher and writer for New York Magazine, Details, Fast Company, and other publications.
“Avoiding the New York Courthouse Through Arbitration May Not be So Easy,” New York Law Journal (June 11, 2018)
- Won a liability verdict on behalf of a national financial consulting firm for breach of an employee non-solicitation provision
- Successfully obtained a temporary-restraining order on behalf of a China-based crypto-currency exchange, leading to a favorable settlement
- Defended international hotel and restaurant design firm in arbitration before the AAA involving breach of contract and fiduciary duty claims. Achieved favorable settlement after the hearing.
- Won preliminary injunction on behalf of Manhattan condominium board seeking to gain access to a unitholder’s apartment to perform building repairs
- Won post-trial dismissal of million dollar federal jury verdict for national over-the-counter supplement brand in breach of contract action.
- Defended public, outdoor apparel company in breach of contract action in the Southern District of New York.
- Represented national advertising agency in connection with Grand Jury subpoena.
- Represented national bank as trustee asserting residential mortgage-backed securities “putback” claims in state and federal court
- Represented landlord in breach of contract action involving the operation of a Manhattan restaurant
- Defended national fashion design company in copyright infringement action in the Southern District of New York
- Won asylum for Senegalese refugee
- Served as amicus curiae counsel for the Humane Society of the United States, the largest non-profit animal protection organization, in support of New York City’s regulation of “puppy mills.”