S. Reid Kahn is a partner in the Firm and co-chairs the Firm’s Litigation Practice Group. Mr. Kahn has practiced civil litigation for more than thirty-five years. Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Kahn served as an Assistant District Attorney in the office of the Brooklyn District Attorney, which is one of the largest prosecutorial agencies in the Country.
Mr. Kahn has extensive trial and appellate experience involving commercial and contract issues, entertainment law, privacy and publicity rights, defamation, freedom of the press and freedom of speech (representing publishers), intellectual property, securities, shareholders disputes, international law issues, labor and employment matters, creditor’s rights, personal injury litigation, including products liability, and medical malpractice. He has also directed complex investigations concerning allegations of corruption by corporate officers, executives and other employees involving bribery, fraud, theft and other actions in violation of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).
Mr. Kahn has represented a broad range of diverse clients. Those clients have included public and private corporations, corporate executives, manufacturers, retail businesses, film production companies, the Government of the Republic of Ghana, professional basketball players and celebrities in the film, music and television industry.
Throughout the course of his litigation practice, Mr. Kahn has utilized the process of mediation to resolve disputes by bringing a creative and facilitative approach to the settlement of cases. Mr. Kahn has extensive mediation training and he has been appointed to be a member of the mediation panels for the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, the Commercial Division of the New York State Supreme Court for the County of New York and the Superior Court of the State of New Jersey. He is regularly chosen by those Courts to serve as a mediator in numerous pending litigated actions. Mr. Kahn successfully has mediated and resolved numerous matters involving shareholders disputes, copyright, trademark and other intellectual property actions, claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and other statutory labor and employment disputes, sexual harassment and employment discrimination matters and claims involving the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). He is a member of the mediation committee for the a Alternative Dispute Resolution section of the New York State Bar Association.
The legal profession’s most prestigious legal directory, Martindale-Hubbell, has awarded Mr. Kahn its “AV” rating, the highest rating available to any individual attorney. This rating reflects the respect he has received from the bench, colleagues and adversaries in the field of civil litigation. Mr. Kahn has also been recognized as a “Super Lawyer” in the legal directory published annually by Super Lawyers, which is a listing of top rated attorneys in America, for the years 2013-2023.
Memberships and Associations
Bar Association of the District of Columbia
New Jersey Bar Association
New York State Bar Association
- Appointed as a mediator on numerous occasions by the courts of New York and New Jersey to resolve pending civil cases involving commercial litigation, disputes between shareholders of corporations, discrimination, sexual harassment, hostile work environment, and retaliation.
- Successfully represented NBA basketball star Patrick Ewing in connection with a claim that his name was improperly used in an advertisement in the New York Times for an alcoholic beverage.
- Successfully defended actress Sean Young in a lawsuit in California filed by James Woods alleging intentional infliction of emotional distress. Obtained reimbursement of legal fees and costs in the amount of $200,000.
- Represented numerous clients in the publishing industry in defense of claims filed by models and other individuals alleging that their photographs and/or likenesses were used for commercial purposes without written consent. Those matters included the representation of a publishing company which was a party in the landmark case of Christie Brinkley v. John Casablancas. Successfully limited the damage verdict after a trial to the total sum of $2,500.
- Represented several celebrities in the television and film industry in defense of lawsuits filed by managers and agents for breach of contract.
- Represented an independent film production company in connection with the preparation of investment and contractual documents, clearing music rights, and facilitating the sale and distribution of an award winning narrative feature film.
- Successfully defended a well known rap music artist who was sued in a civil action for assault.
- Successfully defended the Minister of Defense for the Government of the Republic of Ghana in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York against claims asserted by the Ghanian Trade Minister under the Torture Victim Protection Act obtaining a dismissal of all charges after a jury trial.
- Represented the Government of the Republic of Ghana in a lawsuit to recover property owned by the Government which was used as the residence for the Minister of Trade whose family refused to leave the premises after the employment of the Trade Minister was terminated.
- Successfully defended the President of a residential mortgage company in an action in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York alleging that our client was personally liable for a loan to the company in the amount of $25 million based upon the claim that fraudulent statements were made to the lender by our client during the due diligence process prior to the approval of the loan.
- Obtained and collected a judgment in the amount of $1,050,000, plus interest, on behalf of a homeland security focused software developer and government service business after a trial in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York as a result of an action against the former president of the company.
- Successfully litigated several claims against the William Penn Life Insurance Company which failed to pay the proceeds of life insurance policies after the death of the insured, including obtaining a verdict after a jury trial in one case and settling another matter for more than $1 million.
- Successfully defended the President of an Argentinian Bank at a trial in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York alleging that our client was personally liable for money owed by the bank to a securities firm in the United States.
- Successfully defended at a jury trial a large bankruptcy administration company which was sued for failing to properly record ballots submitted on behalf of creditors of a financial institution.
- Obtained reimbursement on behalf of a client in the amount of $1 million in connection with a $1 million investment made to a company involved in fraudulent practices.
- Represented a client who was subpoenaed by Congress to testify in connection with a congressional investigation into the misappropriation of cell phone records.
- Represented a large public company and conducted an extensive investigation of an officer of the company allegedly engaged in activities which violated the foreign corrupt practices act (FCPA). The investigation ultimately resulted in the indictment of the officer by the United States Department of Justice.